Monday, November 17, 2008

Hellooooo Nurses.

Some of my nurses are really awesome.

There's Jeanie, the half-asian, who has a slight asian accent and is a bit flighty and absent-minded, but in an endearing way.

Then there's Kait ("Kate"), who despite spelling her name stupidly, is really pretty and always on-top of things and most importantly, always cheerful.

And finally there's Rafaela, who is a warm older woman from Barbados who is just super kind and gentle.

The other fifteen-or-so nurses (they're actually mostly nursing assistants), however, have the combined cognitive abilities of a fig newton.

I need to change my ice-packs about every hour, so I constantly have to call a nurse or nursing assistant in to help me.

When one of the nice nurses shows up, I'm always relieved. Everyone else is a nightmare.

They never seem to understand me, even though I'm making the same request every time. Some look and act like they've just been released from prison. Others limp around as if they themselves are injured bewildered patients who put on a nurse's outfit by mistake and got lost. They almost always forget their mission and I have to call two or three more times to finally get my icepack changed.

At one point, after pressing my call button, Nurse Carol arrived, peeking out at me from around the corner of my curtain, mouth hanging open and staring at me blankly. She blinked a few times, possibly drooled a little, and then just disappeared.

It's pretty apparent that most of these people hate their jobs. And it really upsets me.

If you aren't a kind and patient person, DON'T GO INTO NURSING.

Patients in hospitals are already pretty miserable and they really don't need your attitude to compound things.

To all the wonderful, kind and happy nurses out there... Your job is so important and on behalf of hospital patients around the world, thank you.

1 comment: