So we had originally planned to have my birthday party tonight in West Hollywood.
I'm sure it would have been a booze-fueled wastedface sh*tshow like all the years past.
Didn't exactly turn out as I had expected. :-/
............
I've always lived in the moment. As I've probably mentioned before, I almost died several years ago in a freak cab-running-onto-the-sidewalk-and-into-pedestrians incident. Since then I've always tried to make the best of every situation to seize all opportunities and to have fun with whoever I'm with in whatever I'm doing.
I can't stress enough how important it is to not dwell in your current situation.
I'm trying my best not to, though it's hard when you're confined to a bed and it takes an insane amount of effort just to sit upright let alone stand up so you can scoot your way over to the bathroom in a computer chair after getting instant diarrhea from drinking a glass of milk (oh yes that happened today oops).
..................
So...I know a lot of you are frustrated right now. Frustrated with your work. Frustrated with your job (or lack of one). Frustrated with stupid STUPID boys who aren't exactly who you want them to be...
It's ok.
We all have something in our life that could be better at any given moment. But be happy with what you have now and what you're able to do now and what you've been fortunate enough to be able to have done already.
Because the things you take for granted today could easily be snatched away from you without a moment's notice.
Live in the moment and be grateful for what you have.
I write this to you. But I write this also to remind myself.
One thing I'm super grateful for right now is for having taken the time to blog about my adventures. It's at times like this when I'm kind of down that I can go back and relive the awesome things I've done and awesome people I've known and remember that my life is ridiculously sweet and sometimes you need a low to appreciate the highs.
...............
So tonight's pretty much a bust for me. Don't worry though. I'll be throwing a party when I finally make it back to LA to make up for what should have been tonight's sh*tshow.
I thought of a good theme: Handicapped Awareness.
Also, we'll be taking my wheelchair to Disneyland and skipping all the lines.
If you're able to, get out there and have a great Saturday night, whatever you're doing.
I know all the NY kids are out celebrating Todd's b'day.
Happy Birthday T.O.!
Don't go chest-bumping anyone.
Thank you for this post Dennis. I hope you know that your blog frequently takes me away from being stressed out at work or being upset about something...I wish there was a way to account for all the smiles and snickers you give me, bottle them up and share them with you on a cloudy day.
ReplyDeletekeep your head up,
-lala
whenever you decide to have your "I Am Healed" party, I will be there with hugs and treats and maybe a copy of "I know who killed me".
ReplyDeleteYour blog brings delight to many, and we all love you.
Your words are very timely for many of us, I think. Thank you for reminding me that what I've already experienced is amazing and a gift, and that worrying about how the future is going to work out only makes me miss the present. Sending you a big hug!
ReplyDelete-Bethany