Although many of the state's black political leaders spoke out against Proposition 8, an exit poll of California voters showed that black voters favored the measure by a margin of more than 2 to 1. Not only was the black vote weighted heavily in favor of Proposition 8, but black turnout - spurred by Obama's historic campaign for president - was unusually large, with African Americans making up roughly 10% of the total electorate.
It pisses me off that there are actually black people who would vote to take away the rights of another group of people when just 50 years ago, interracial marriage was illegal.
And this at a time when the black people have just received their ultimate affirmation, having a black person elected president.
I mean, I'm pretty sure none of the black people that I know would have voted Yes on Prop 8.
Maybe the people who voted yes don't see the banning of gay marriage as a civil rights issue even though it clearly is. I read some quote where one person said, "I didn't choose to be black. I was born black. These people made a choice."
To which I say, "YOU ARE FUCKING RETARDED."
There are many people to blame for Prop 8 passing. I don't mean to single out African-Americans. But just learning this fact kind of infuriated me.
Jesus Christ this whole thing is so lamesauce.
It's especially galling because many justified banning interracial marriage on (dubious) biblical grounds, and now the Bible is being used in similar ways against same sex marriage. This crap is getting to be Sisyphean.
ReplyDelete