This store sold cars.
Reliable, decent-looking (boring-looking, yes) Japanese cars.
In my hand I clutched my shiny new Rhode Island Driver's License.
We walked through the lot together through rows and rows of hundreds of cars...but only one stood out.
It was the same model that Dr. Spencer (Jimmy Coleman's radiologist step-dad) used to drive.
I had ridden in that car so many times. And when I saw it on that lot in Wellesley, Massachusetts, I just knew it was the one I wanted.
It was the nicest car on that lot.
It evoked images of success, stability, and Jimmy Coleman's monstrous mansion of a house.
And because I had gotten all "A"'s in school, dad said I could have it.
................................
I will always remember the day I drove it past the BHS tennis courts that very first time and the way my friends' jaws dropped as they came over to check out my new ride.
It was one of the proudest moments of my entire life.
................................
Flash forward ten years to today.
Today I donated my 1995 Toyota Avalon** to Cars 4 Causes.
Partly, yes, because my wonderful friend Tunji borrowed him and drove him so recklessly that he was going to require a ridiculous amount of money and headache to repair and sell. But also because I knew deep down it was the right thing to do.
It's for the best.
Hopefully some good karma comes out of it.
(Although...I think hoping for karma might negate the karma.)
*shrug*

Goodbye old friend. We have been on so many adventures.












I will forever hold you in my heart.


The End.
** "It's not a fucking Camry!"
(AC knows my pain...)
forget karma... hellooooooo tax deduction.
ReplyDelete(but seriously... go denny. that is a good thing).
It's always sad to get rid of a car you love, even when you know it's time. It's like losing an old friend, and a part of your past you will never get back.
ReplyDeletesigh....
ReplyDelete