Sunday, May 7, 2006

Rome - Day One

The flight.

Oh the flight.

It was terrible. Awful. Worst flight I have EVER been on.

Not only was the exit row unavailable, there were no AISLE seats available either. I got stuck sitting next to a fat woman with a broken arm. It would have been fine if she were just fat and broken. But no, of course she was wearing a rock hard cast and kept elbowing me. Hard.



Also, my legs did not fit under the seat in front of me since my knees ram into the seat so I have to either sit bow-legged, with my legs spread wide open and my knees shoved into my seatmates' personal space or I have to tuck my legs and cross them under me. Neither of these positions are comfortable (or circulation-friendly), and so I opted to switch between the positions every 5 minutes for the duration of the 11 hour flight.

Quick stopover and London and a short flight to Rome.

I took the train to the main terminal where my buddy Tom met me to take me to my hotel.



Got to my hotel, only to find that my reservation had somehow been CANCELLED. Was not pleased. But somehow "lucked out" and got the remaining "room" in the "hotel" which turned out to be a closet with a single bed.





The Hotel Pensione Erdarelli. "Pensione" makes me think of "pension" which, in turn, immediately brings to mind "pension and welfare" which then leads us to...poor people. And that's exactly what this is, a poor people hotel. Communal bathrooms and all. A step DOWN from a hostel, if that's at all possible. Although at 80 euros a day, I'm not really sure how a poor person could really afford to stay here...

On the bright side...I have a patio!



Tom and I dropped off my stuff and headed to a delicious pizzeria where we had deliciously overpriced pizza as US Dollars are just slightly more valuable than pieces of tree bark here.



We then headed to a little area with a row of gay bars and ugly Italians overlooking the Colosseum, drank several forties and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment