Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Day Twelve - Turkey

We arrived in Kusadasi, Turkey at 7 am wholly unimpressed since we had just spent the previous day in Santorini. It’s hard to top perfection.

I had been hoping to see Tee, Ale, and Chloe, who just happen to be somewhere in country, but I have a feeling that it’s kind of big place and our chances of running into each other are slim.

Turkey (or least this part of Turkey) looks a lot like New Hampshire…aside from the whole ancient ruins thing.



We started the at the Virgin Mary’s House, way high up in the mountains. It’s said to have been her final home and was endorsed by the Pope as a sacred place.



I’m not sure if I really buy it, but there was a wishing wall and a natural spring which dispenses holy water.





I wished for my stupid stupid eyes to be cured.

………………………

Following this we visited the ruins of the city of Ephesus. This was an ancient city that was somewhat recently discovered only like 100 years ago and is currently still being excavated.



Did you know that the reason so many ancient cities lie in ruins is because they were destroyed and not because of normal wear and tear?

Maybe I’m totally dumb, but I never considered this.

Apparently almost all ancient cities were destroyed when the empires that controlled them fell because invaders would destroy columns and structures to get the metal out of the bars that held all the marble and stuff together. Every single column is actually made out of several pieces of stacked marble that has a hollow tube running down the center. During construction, they’d stack the columns and then pour melted metal down the tube to meld the columns together. When cities were invaded, the hostiles would destroy the columns, melt the metal, and make it into weapons.

Also it is fun to destroy the homes of your enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment