Friday, January 23, 2009

Fun with doctors

So the other day when I went for my first follow-up ankle appointment in California, I didn't mention it but the guy's office somewhat concerned me. All the cabinetry and stuff seemed kind of old-school. Like it was from the 80s. And the x-ray machine...was made of wood.

Seriously.

I was like..."are we sure this is safe?"

Well not really made of wood. But it was definitely an older model of x-ray machine. And the x-ray room doubled as a filing room with all exposed wooden cabinets with thousands and thousands of patient files just sitting there staring at you while you're waiting to get your foot/brain zapped with questionably-safe radiation.

And while most places now digitize your x-rays for easy display on a computer monitor, this doc was still using film.

I was already feeling a little uneasy about the whole situation and my whole lack of healing when I received an email from Megoon's wonderful mommy, a pro nurse, who advised me to seek a second opinion and to get the bone stimulator ASAP.

On top of this I received a random email last night from a fellow ankle blogger who referred me his amazing orthopedic surgeon who also just happens to be the Director of the Foot and Ankle Center at Cedars-Sinai which is just a few blocks from my apartment. God bless the internets.

Also, the new doc is well-educated and a multi-Ivy grad, which is comforting.

I headed over to Santa Monica, grabbed my xrays and reports from the other doctor and am seeing this new doctor Tuesday.

Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment