So today I went to Carl's Jr. for lunch.
I ordered a Carne Asada Burrito.
And then...my willpower failed.
I asked them to throw a $.99 Spicy Chicken Sandwich in the bag as well.
..............
I tore into the Chicken Sandwich before I had even pulled out of the drive through.
Mmmmmmmmm delicious mayo-soaked goodness....
Then I had to go get gas, so I stopped at the 76 Gas Station.
As I was pumping my gas, a 30-something, fat-ish, somewhat dirty-looking woman in a beat-up Dodge Caravan with a little girl in the passenger seat pulled along side me.
"Hey! Can you come here for a second?", she whispered.
She motioned me over to her car. I approached kind of cautiously. It was weird.
"Come closer... I don't want anyone else to hear..."
This weirded me out.
"Please sir. You look nervous. I don't mean any harm..."
I took a few steps toward her.
The woman tried to shake my hand and proceeded to beg me for a dollar to feed her little daughter.
She showed me her empty pockets and empty wallet.
I was hesitant to show my wallet lest she yank out a gun or knife and attempt to relieve me of it...but I had an idea.
"Hang on a second."
I went back into my car and grabbed my untouched burrito.
I offered it to her.
She refused.
"No no sir. You're very kind. I can't accept that."
I was confused. It was perfectly wrapped and in a Carl's Jr. bag.
"You want money for food. I'm offering you food. Take the burrito. I bought it less than five minutes ago."
I shoved it pretty close to her face.
"I really want you to have it."
"I'm sorry. I can't take your food. Thank you. God bless you."
She pushed my hand away.
"Fine."
I finished pumping my gas, got in my car, and drove away.
I felt good about offering her my food. It's what Gershy would have done. It was the right thing to do. Both because it is nice and also because I really shouldn't be eating a burrito AND a chicken sandwich.
So...the question I've been pondering:
Even though the foolish homeless woman didn't take my burrito, do I get the karma points for offering it to her?
I mean...it's not my fault she didn't want it.
......
.....
Hmmmm......
.....
I think any karma points I may have gotten from the burrito-offering have just been negated by my blogging about expecting to receive karma points.
......
Shit.
I hate homeless people.
Your willpower failed you with the ordering of the Carne Asada Burrito, not with the Chicken Sandwich. Don't feel bad about the Chicken Sandwich because after the Burrito, it's all downhill.
ReplyDeleteYes, you absolutely get karma points - as long as you didn't spray gas on her afterwards.
ReplyDelete