Being a stereotypical gaysian with an intense fear of bloodsports (yes, I consider softball to be a blood sport) you would never catch me actually playing in a game (not that I've ever been invited to play...I think we have unspoken understanding). But I do enjoy watching.
Nevertheless, it was an exciting game that I will let That Guy recap it for you.

Taku "That Guy" Noguchi writes:
The pen is not mightier than the softball bat... I just can't do this game - a 7-6 all guts, all glory victory - justice. But here's a rundown: In one of the biggest softball games in Hoochie History, Karen (aka PeterGammons) pitched a 6-run clinic against the most formidable offense in the league, with no runs allowed in the last 5 innings. This was a true playoff performance - everyone stepped up in their own way, and in retrospect, every play, every contribution, EVERY INCH, was absolutely key to the victory. The put out at second by Henes, the running grabs by Cooney, TO playing clutch at a new position in right, Team Mom with the orange slices, Matty-B holding down the fort at third, No Bull and Hibachi negotiating no man's land in short center, Crash Davis bowling over the girl catcher (FACIAL). It was down to the wire but in the end, indisputable, even by this team of whiny, "I wish I played some kind of sport for the Florida Gators when I was in college, which was like 15 years ago but I still name my team after them" dorks.

Kris "Dorn" Goddard (above, at bat) writes:
"That Guy" forgot to mention that with the Hoochies up 7-6 in the bottom of the 6th, the Gators loaded the bases with 2 outs. Joe Steroids stepped to the plate and laced what he thought was a clutch single between 3B and Short....this hit would've easily scored 2 and put us down going into the final inning except for one small detail....That Guy made a play of the year diving snag and throw to 3rd for the inning/rally ending out. You had to see it to believe it.....after barfing all over the plate with his at-bats, he sacked up and saved the day to make up for it....truly a "co-MVP" in my eyes.

And finally, Karen "PeterGammons" the rookie pitcher (team picture, bottom, third from right) writes:
Hell yeah! Having ‘intentionally’ walked the bases loaded, with the game on the line, the defense yet again saved my ass. Like any good manager, That Guy (Taku) selflessly got sick with the flu in the hopes the other team would be stricken with it or at the very least disgusted when he vomited on their cleats as they rounded second. When that didn’t pan out, he stocked up on vitamin C (clutch, clutch orange slices) and made the best out of the game, and maybe the season. Sick (pun intended) play. How that could be left out, I don’t know -what a humble that guy.
Quick insult to injury anecdote. I bumped into their lead-off-hitter- Mr. ‘I’ve-never-been-walked-before-in-softball’ -in the subway where he went on to congratulate me (“I can’t believe we lost to you guys”) and then, with a smoothness I haven’t seen since 6th grade, dropped a killer line (“you, uh, going somewhere to celebrate or maybe ice down that arm? ) Being a Hoochie and therefore trained in good sportsmanship, I turned him down easy by throwing my glove at his head and telling him I’d bean him in his fleshy thigh next season. I could not be more excited for next Friday.

So there you have it.

The Hoochies are going to the finals!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment