All the flags are at half-mast everywhere.
There are police officers and firefighters everywhere.
I always get chills when I walk near Ground Zero.
I thought about that day. Standing outside Psych Lab. Bumping into Kathryn. Crowding around some car that had its radio blasting with about forty other people, not really comprehending what we were hearing. Hearing the reporter say that tower 1 was coming down and everyone gasping and looking around to make sure what they heard was really what everyone else had heard. It was so surreal. We all just hugged each other, helpless.
I'd been up to the top of those towers. The space they occupied was enormous.
Like seriously, the space between these few buildings (below) held just ONE of the towers. And that tower was like double the size of any of them.
It's insane. I think about it now, seven years later, and it still seems just as insane.
At night they've been shooting two super bright lights into the sky that you can see from miles around.
It's really quite beautiful. And sad.
I hate to quote George Bush, but it really is a day that started like any other, but ended like none ever has. Ever.
It's sad to think that a lot of people don't really think too much about 9/11. That a lot of people have already forgotten. I don't think about it much. But I really think we should.
In the past few years, I've been down around Ground Zero several times, just because it's where I happen to live and work when I'm in NYC...
If September 11 happened just a few years later, I could easily have been involved in the tragedy. It could have been anyone.
But everything happens for a reason. We would not be where we are at today if not for September 11. George Bush might not have gotten re-elected and f-ed up our country and world. And Barack Obama would probably not be the next President of the United States.
So... today I remember the victims and heroes of September 11 and send out a thought to their families and loved ones....
OBAMA '08!!!
**I just found out that Obama and McCain were at Ground Zero at 3:30 today and I didn't walk by until 4:30. Dammit dammit dammit that would have been so freakin' cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment