Some people wanted to go out. But it was mostly boys, Katie, and Naia.
We went to a screening of this movie, Balls Out, starring Seann William Scott (AKA Stifler) which was hilariously funny. Much better than Blades of Glory. And about tennis. But by the time we got out and went home and changed, all the bars worth going to had crazy man-lines out front, one of the annoying-est things about Los Angeles.
So our potential going-out group got whittled down one-by-one. We stopped by The Parlor, Nikki's, The Otherroom, and it was pretty clear that we weren't going to get in anywhere with a group of boys and two girls.
....
And then there were three.
Douglas, Danno, and Dennis. D-cubed, if you will. At Del's.
Hmmmm....I thought. A random combination...
I was worried that Doug and Danny would have nothing in common and that I'd be facilitating awkward conversation all night.
One step into Del's Saloon though, the diviest dive bar west of the 405 (nestled between Smart & Final and the 50% off lamp store), and I knew we would be fine.
I had forgotten that a major unifier of people - and especially my friends - is our ability to just sit in a corner, any corner, and make fun of people.
It was heaven.

Not only was there a random dispersion of gays, Drinker Mexicans, and a lesbian with a stupid hat. There were total wastoids, a hideous Asian, a smattering of decent-looking people, and several fashion-disasters.
Also there was a potato-shaped, pool-playing, homeless-looking man with the blinking bluetooth headset hidden under all that hair who shouted at the room for someone to play pool with him several times until a Billiard Mexican finally agreed to join him. (They both ended up being horrendous.)

There was Little Fat Riding Hood Bar Wench who was several days late for Halloween.

Ohhhhh and then there was the Diarrhea-breathed SuperCougar who eventually came over to tell me that I was really tall and that my friends were super spicy and she was trying her hardest to resist coming to talk to us but in the end couldn't.
She literally smelled like she had just come straight from eating a bowl of steaming turds.

On top of all that, it was Karaoke-night.

With the lowest of low expectations, I had a surprisingly awesome time.
I'm actually considering having my birthday party at Del's.
Thoughts?
From the Del's Saloon website:
ReplyDelete"Feel free to stop by our convenient location next to Smart and Final."
You just can't make that stuff up.