See, LA is a place where you RARELY bump into people.
Unlike NYC where you walk everywhere, in LA you're always in a car.
It's one thing to bump into someone at a bar or on 3rd St or at the Grove, but it's completely different to bump into someone on some random street corner.
................
So... I woke up Sunday and met up with Doug for brunch at Hugo's.


Afterwards, I had to run off on a photo shoot on the west side.
So I'm on this shoot, and we took a break because my client needed to shave and change.
We're at the corner of Olympic and Sawtelle, where there is absolutely NOTHING to see except a convention hall (where Kristy once had her company Xmas party), a lamp store, a storage facility and a Starbucks which is frequented only by those shopping at the Linens N' Things next door.
So...I realize my friends and I are unique in that we ride airplanes like they're the bus or something, but Katie was in town for a couple of days, and she had texted me a few minutes earlier asking me what I was doing since she hadn't been able to come gay dancing the night before.
I had texted her back as I was going down the escalator heading into this Starbucks at Olympic and Sawtelle saying I was on a photo shoot etc etc, but I'd be hanging out nearby with Felix's cousins Yvonne and Kathy for his niece Sierra's 10th birthday party afterward and she should totally come.....
And as I approach the Starbucks, who do I see crossing Olympic reading the text message I had JUST sent her?
KATIEEEEEE!!!!

She was staying in Venice. I live in West Hollywood. And we both just happened to be in no man's land in West LA. It seriously is the most random corner in Los Angeles. (She happened to be coming from some random work-related party thing of our friend Alex's.)
WEIRD.

We made plans to meet up later in the evening.
I finished my shoot, and I headed over to Yvonne and Kathy's to celebrate Sierra's 10th birthday.
After a bit, we took a break to go shopping at Westside Pavilion which is the most useless and random mall in the world, but happens to be situated right next to their home.
We shopped around. And then Katie met up for a coffee before heading to the airport.
As we're leaving the mall some hot guy came out of nowhere and tackled me outside Macy's.
And it was Doug!

He was there shopping for shoes. And it was especially odd to see him there because Westside Pavilion is basically a women's mall that has zero men's stores.
I'm not sure I've properly conveyed the magnitude of the randomness of these coincidences, but it was mind-blowing. Two places in Los Angeles that nobody ever goes to.
ANYWAY.
Katie left for the airport so I brought Doug back over to Yvonne and Kathy's for delicious Filipino food and Sierra's birthday party.
We mainly just hung out in the kitchen.
Ooooh, and Dakota made a really wonderful Thanksgiving statement-project-thing...


It read:
"We are celebrating Thanksgiving. I am thankful for my parents because I would not be alive. My mom had an egg and my dad had a sperm. Also I'm thankful for all the people in the military. The third thing I'm thankful for is trees because they give me oxygen. I am thankful for all the teachers I had. All of them are very nice."


Children are so wonderful.
Happy Birthday Sierra!
No comments:
Post a Comment