The other day I attended a little fundraiser for a friend of a friend, Clay Pell, who is running for governor of my home state of Rhode Island.
Clay is besties with Ateesh and Shideh who I've been at several weddings with over the past year. Clay also happens to be married to my long-lost pseudo-cousin Michelle Kwan.
Ateesh and Shideh are helping out with the fundraising campaign and invited me to come along so we could connect/reconnect.
Dr Rusty happened to be in town from NOLA so I brought him along as well. Hi Rusty!
The fundraiser was held in one of the most gorgeous apartments I've ever seen.
Michelle opened with a little speech introducing her husband.
The crowd very obviously adored her.
She is just the nicest normal-est person.
We haven't seen each other since I was probably 13 years old.
Back in like 1994 when the US Figure Skating Nationals were held in RI, my mom, being a crazy network-y go-getter (it kind of runs in the family), sent a letter (this was pre-email) to Michelle's mom saying "Hey, we're Kwans too! Look us up when you get to RI, we can grab lunch, etc etc." And guess what, THEY DID. And so began a friendship between Michelle's mom and my mom and Michelle and my sister (she was a skater back in the day too). And it was established that we are all originally from the same village somewhere in China and thus may or may not be distantly related. And so she's kind of like a pseudo-cousin. Maybe.
Anyway, she totally remembered me even though I had only spent like an hour with her at a dinner almost 20 years ago. (I was not yet then a giant.)
And then someone shouted out that she needed to pose with both giants and then someone else requested that we enact figure skating moves and so we happily obliged.
These two are so nice. And look. They love posing with stuffed animals!
Looking forward to seeing them in RI!
Did I mention this apt was carayzy?
Here's one of Michelle's greatest performances in case you would like to remember why she is the most decorated figure skater in history.














No comments:
Post a Comment